Whereas a craftsman never blames his tools, he still must find the right tool for the job. Prior to choosing the tools, the purpose of the task must be identified, and then the correct tool or tools can be chosen. I have already identified the task to be accomplished involves the integration of technology, with a purpose, into my classroom. To this point, cursory attention has been given to the technological tools that might enhance the learning of my students. In years past, I have used the excuse that technology integration took longer than it was worth, and in doing so, continued my usual methods of instruction. But as the needs of my students have evolved, my teaching style should also evolve to meet those needs. As I build my arsenal of tools throughout this program, I am amazed at how the technological landscape has evolved. There is no question that students are technologically savvy, but they need to be challenged to use technology in new ways, and ultimately develop work through this technology that is far superior than they have done before. To that end, I am excited about the tools that we have examined for this class. Adobe Buzzword is an intriguing tool in that it poses a viable alternative to Google docs. I have introduced Google docs to my classes and have found the process to be both rewarding and challenging. I am not 100% sure that "docs" is the best source for online word processing, yet there is a notable advantage in utilizing Google exclusively for its many tools. Buzzword does basically the same tasks as Google docs, but appeals more to the eye. Should I stick to what I know with Google and help students overcome some limitations, or should I introduce students to different tools and let them decide which ones they like the best? I do like the fact that having students all use the same service makes it considerably easier to troubleshoot issues, but I don't want to compromise quality in the process. I will have to continue trying other online word processing tools like Thinkfree and Openoffice before I make that determination.
Of all the tools we looked at, TokBox is the most intriguing, and one that I definitely will introduce to my students. The ability to meet online without geographic limitations is something that would help students who either can't drive or have hectic schedules. The fact that video messages can be emailed is a nice alternative to the current email method.
The whole concept of online meeting is a cool option to pursue in general. I have always chuckled at the advice of having a "sub" folder, replete with daily lessons, in case I am absent. Whereas I have the folder, I hate the fact that the lesson of the day would have nothing to do with what students were currently studying. This disjointed lesson would be viewed by my students as nothing more than filler, and they would treat any subsequent work as a waste of time. I am curious about Wimba and Elluminate as a way to get current lessons to my students. At the same time, I will stick to services that I can afford like WiziQ and Dimdim. But all of these products would provide me with a way to get meaningful lessons to my students, without putting a burden on the substitute teacher. Although the lesson would be asynchronous, I think that students would appreciate the fact that, even though I wasn't physically in the room with them, they are still learning the current material. That is not to say that this option if perfect. Obviously, writing a lesson plan for a substitute teacher involving pressing the play button on the VCR is far less time consuming than providing an online lesson, but if I knew one of my offspring was going to be home from school, I think the online lesson might have some value. In the perfect world, lectures could be made available to those who are absent, but finding the time to create these lessons, and more importantly, getting students to view them would be challenges to overcome.
Obviously, there are many other tools that will help make me a more productive teacher, and in turn, make my students more successful. Now that the foundation for this knowledge has been established, it is important for me to develop this knowledge and determine how this technology can be utilized to meet the needs of my students.
No comments:
Post a Comment