As I finish my search and rescue project concerning assignments and standards, I am now focusing my attention on my major project. My project involves the study of Google Wave. At a glance, Wave is intended to be what email would look like if it was created today. Forty years of email has been effective, but a new way to communicate was desperately needed. Whereas email sends the message to viewers, Wave is a hosted conversation. People come to the message rather than the message coming to the people. Viewers are invited at any stage in the process, and a playback feature allows them to see the stages in the development of the message. Drag and drop features allow for easy placement of content, and everything updates in real time. Gadgets can be employed such as Blogger, which automatically links the wave to a blog. A translator gadget can be used to allow communication to cross language barriers. Other forms of gadgets can be used to add graphics to the messages. There are many more features of Wave that allow for a great way to communicate and collaborate with others.
With that said, Wave is far from being perfect. The Beta version doesn't allow for users to access many of the features that will be available in the final product. The user is teased with the idea of using many features, but as of yet, Wave is still in the stripped-down test mode.
I am anxious to continue my study of Wave because I think it will be a great tool for classrooms and schools in general. Will it make current email a thing of the past? Probably not, but it certainly has the potential to be a powerful tool for the toolbox. :)
Though you were very clear in your description of what Wave can do or will do, it is always difficult to project how these tools will be useful with out trying them, so I can understand your beta frustration. Sounds like a more interactive, flexible deeper, form of communication than email.
ReplyDeleteAwesome idea with Google Wave!! I had an invitation to the Beta version and I had a lot of the same thoughts as you but I haven't spent much time playing with it since. I'm anxious to see how your project goes.
ReplyDeleteGoogle Wave is going to be a great tool. I hope that the beta version doesn't change too much between the current and future state. I believe that this tool with provide students great insight into the tools available and the path that we are moving towards as a school system, cloud computing.
ReplyDelete