Saturday, July 17, 2010

CEdO 599 Post#2

As I am intensifying my study of Google Wave, I am starting to see some significant applications for my classroom with this tool. Wave seemingly has taken the best characteristics of many tools and rolled them into one. At the same time, it can be challenging to describe exactly what Wave can do. There is instant messaging in real time, which allows users to type at the same time. The creator of the Wave can set access rights to control what can be edited. Links can be inserted as well as video. Slide presentations can be shown and embedded into websites and blogs. Messages don't have to be linear and threads can be created anywhere during the conversation. I could go on and on because these features only scratch the surface.
I think students will love the IM function of Wave, and that will allow me to introduce appropriate behavior when commenting in a Wave. Since I am lucky enough to have a set of netbooks for my classroom, I could see Wave being a nice tool for collaborative note taking. The fact that there can be many conversations (threads) within the initial conversation is really intriguing. This Wiki-like functionality could really be a powerful tool for extending the conversation. With that said, Wave is really focused on the conversation itself, and allowing for that conversation to be without limits.
My project itself involves the creation of a keynote presentation concerning Wave. This presentation will be used throughout the year when I am teaching staff at my school and others about Wave. I am also creating screencasts about basic functions of Wave and then more advanced features. My initial thinking was to make two screencasts, but there are so many characteristics to cover that more might be warranted. I am also making screenshot handouts to help user familiarize themselves with Wave. The bulk of my time has been experimenting with Wave and reading as much as I can concerning its evolution. Wave, much like the conversation it allows users to create, is constantly changing and being refined. The more I study, the more I realize that I have only scratched the surface of what this tool can accomplish.

4 comments:

  1. I am so jealous that you have a classroom set of netbooks! How did you acquire them? Please do share!

    And, I understand how you feel that you are simply scratching the surface of Google Wave. My project was on increasing collaboration through technology, and I really focused on Google Docs. That alone gave me so much information, and I know that Wave is more complex!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika,

    I got involved with some technology groups and the payoff was a classroom set of netbooks. Actually, I have been lucky enough to acquire a smartboard two years ago and that will work nicely with the netbooks. Some guys get all the breaks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see your screencasts of Google Wave as this is something that I've never used and it sounds very cool for classroom implementation. I think your project sounds awesome and would love to see it when completed as I'm definately a thief and would love to snake some your ideas for implementing into my own classroom. Good luck on completing the project buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Ryan, we have just added Wave to our google apps for ed page at the district level, and your screencasts might be a great way for people to get introduced to Wave, without the district poorly orchestrating some PD to have very few people buy in. Please send me the link to your site or your screencasts. I would love to see them.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete