Friday, February 13, 2009

CEd0512 Part II

This weeks work involves a further study of online word processing, as well as I reexamination of search engines to see if my Googleitis is a curable malady. To start, I would like to visit the idea of online word processing. I have been impressed thus far with our work with Google Docs. I like the idea of being able to share documents with Google Docs, yet I was unaware that it wasn't the only kid on the block. ThinkFree, WriteWith, and Zoho Writer provide similar online word processing services as Google Docs. All of these services provide the ability to work collaboratively. With two of my three boys currently dealing with sinus and ear infections, I found myself home from work two days last week. I had to send my sub plans to school and thought I would try one of the online word processors. As a trial run, I sent my sub plans to my wife, and she found it more difficult to open the document than as an attachment. Perhaps I did not use the program properly, but until I figure out how to use it better, I think my time would be better spent researching the ins and outs of these programs. There is no question that having the ability to collaborate is a great bonus for these online programs, plus being able to track any changes made to the original document makes it efficient to edit the document. But overall, I am not ready to abandon my tried and true ways of word processing. My sub plans arrived via email as a word document, which by itself, stinks of sacrilege as a Mac user. I still like the bells and whistles that Pages provides in word processing, yet I understand that I need to change my thinking and use some of these online programs.
My thinking must also be adjusted when in comes to search engines. I suffer from a simple case of Googleitis. I never really thought that I should think about other ways to search the internet for information. As I started to poke around with different search engines, I was amazed how the same search yielded such varied returns depending on the search engine. To me, Google works fine for the needs that I have, and I have developed a comfortable relationship using this search engine. But I have been intrigued with both Clusty and KartOO. Both programs refine searches into separate search options. These options help to streamline the search and remind me of a Badgerlink search. I can spend a lot of time searching for information using Badgerlink if I simply use the general search. But Badgerlink also offers additional search options, and I have often found that my focus changed directions by using this alternative search. I like how these search engines essentially suggest topics that can be researched, or at the very least, help to refine the initial search. I am not sure that I can wean myself off of Google, but I do think there are viable alternative search engines that should be explored.
Here again, I must temper any excitement that I might have for online word processing or search engines. I feel, although perhaps erroneously, that my current methods and needs are fairly efficient. Until I become significantly more comfortable with these new opportunities, I will probably proceed with caution. I do believe that the biggest benefit from our studies has been that my eyes have been opened to many opportunities in technology that I previously didn't know existed. Now I just need someone to hold my hand as I slowly try to learn how to use the new technology efficiently.

3 comments:

  1. So you have Googleitis, do you also suffer from rockin pneumonia or the boogey woogey flu. I too was a sufferer and I have seen the light. I had fallen into the rut of googling and then being satisfied with the results even if they were not satisfactory. I used Dogpile and Exalead this weekend when completing several searches as well as Google and found that it added to the success of my searches. As far as web apps like Google Docs and thinkfree I have already gained some value using them with my teaching colleagues as we usually only meet in the online world. It comes down to finding the apps that are helpful and getting used to them. It is always good to hear someone is having the same experiences. Have fun and good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you are saying about getting stuck in a rut with technology. I have searched with google for years, and I often question why I would want to change search engines. And, then I looked into a couple of different engines this week. I am not sure that I will stop using google, but it did open my eyes to other engines!

    I also liked what you said about online word processing. I see advantages for collaboration, but for my day to day needs, I am comfortable using Word. I will need more time before making the leap over to completely online word processing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring up several good points - to send a lesson in google docs you would most likely need to publish it as a web page and send the link. Give it a whirl.

    Great analysis of the search engines - we all fall into a rut of doing things one way. Getting nudged out of this rut and into a new method, while it may not stick, allows us to learn some new ways to either use the old or when possible, integrate additional methods.

    ReplyDelete