I think the greatest lesson that I learned from the readings concerning technology is that there is no magic potion to engage students in learning. Every teacher approaches his/her subject matter differently, and the individual's personality fuels classroom delivery of information. There is no one right way to teach, but educators need to constantly evaluate their approach and effectiveness in the classroom. Too often, teachers get comfortable with how they deliver information, and find it difficult to change styles that have served them well over the years. Technology may or may not be the bridge to reaching a broader audience of learners, but it is a necessary skill for students to have in their arsenals. It is essential for teachers to be well-versed with numerous types of technology, and be able to choose which approaches will be most beneficial for their students.
It is kind of funny that I will be getting a smart board in my classroom in March, and I have no clue how to utilize the technology. I could easily tell colleagues that I use my smart board each day to effectively deliver information, and most would be envious of the fact that I am able to seamlessly incorporate technology into my lessons. What I wouldn't tell them is that I might use the board simply as an overhead projector or movie viewer. No one ever wants to sound stupid, and I would hate to have technology thats effectiveness is ceremonious at best. I have been taking a crash course in smart board technology so that I can demonstrate the ability to incorporate a great tool into my classroom teaching.
As part of the generation not raised with a lot of technology, I have found myself resistant to using technology for the sake of technology. The readings speak to the fact that the incorporation of technology has not been shown to increase learning, nor is technology by itself going to carry the lesson. The correct technology for the information and the classroom dynamic is the key to a great experience for both teacher and student. Being knowledgeable about technology is my motivation for being in this program. To this point, I have found technology cumbersome to incorporate into my lessons, and consequently have continued to teach in a manner that has served me for the past nine years. Not only does technology have to be suited for student needs, but it also must be an efficient process for the teacher. If it takes me four hours to incorporate technology into a lesson, I really have to weigh the benefits of such a delivery.
My students are on the low end of ability and motivation. I am happy when I have 75% attendance on any given day. Although I know in my heart that the right technology could reach more of my students, I am not sure that it will increase ownership in my classroom. I think student ownership of individual education would be a great chapter in this book. If students don't find information relevant to their lives, it might be a safe assumption that students wouldn't find information relevant even when delivered with the best technology. Regardless of student ownership, it is my duty to prepare students for their lives outside of high school. Technology certainly has the possibility to make student experiences much more rewarding, and I must do everything in my power to build my knowledge base on how to use technology effectively and efficiently.
Wow, your blog really struck a chord with me. I too, tend to want to know as much as possible about the technology available but I become minimalist when it comes to truly using and incorporating it in my classroom. I feel that the time it takes to prepare a lesson with certain technologies drags me down. The point chapter one made concerning not just using tech for the sake of using it is a major tenant of mine. I think that when the technology becomes more cumbersome than it's value as a tool it needs to be set aside until it can be incorporated as seamlessly as possible. This brings me again to the chapter where the need to give time and resources to really learn the technology is addressed. You seem to be sitting on a beautiful piece of technology coming into your classroom, but were you "trained" or is the district making sure to compensate your time that you use to plan? And this can open the whole can of worms about what the district can and can't afford. I'm pretty lucky in our district as our curriculum coordinator is also our technology coordinator and he is very supportive of giving time and money and energy to be sure that teachers are comfortable with the technologies we're expected/asked to use. Unfortunately, all districts are not so lucky, but I think that districts shouldn't use money to buy technology just to have it unless they are able to support the staff in the use of those technologies.
ReplyDeleteYou certainly show your passion as a teacher - what you are now confronting is bringing in a new tool, examining it, reflecting and then finding a way to ensure it improves te lesson and is not just a flashy show. I think your students will be very engaged and lucky as you proceed.
ReplyDelete