Saturday, April 18, 2009

Personal Computer Failure

If my personal computer failed I would lose.........nothing. Everything that is stored on my hard drive is also kept in online storage. Had you asked me this question prior to January of 2009, I would have had a totally different response, but my reaction would be the same. Even if I would not have my files stored online, I would not be too concerned if my personal computer failed. I am reminded of when my father retired from Menomonee Falls high school, just about the time the guidance department was moving data from filing cabinets to computers. My father had a system that had worked for so many years that he wasn't willing to relearn a new system. His filing cabinets were neat and organized, and he was able to exist very efficiently with that system. Although my father was unwilling to adapt to a new way of doing things, I have found that I do not rely too heavily on personal computers. I like what they can do for us, but at the same time, I was not raised with this technology. I had to learn to do my work the "old fashioned" way, and I could easily go back to that system. It would be an interesting study to compare the responses of the older generation to the younger when asked the question concerning computer failure. When I ran a restaurant, everything was computerized. When the computers failed, we still had to stay in business, which meant servers would have to physically write tickets. Many of them panicked to the point of having to leave the floor. They had no concept of how to write a ticket by hand and figure out the sales tax. I have never gotten too attached to technology because I know that there will always be the chance that it will let me down. Perhaps I am also identifying why I struggle with technology, because I haven't developed the trust to allow the relationship to flourish. Although it would be sad if my computer failed, like any other disappointment, I must simply go on with my way of life.

1 comment:

  1. People tend to rely on computers. Many people find it hard to believe that they will fail. When they do they figure it is something that they did and so they blame themselves.

    ReplyDelete