I have had the unique experience over the last few days to be taught by the experts in the area of statistics. As I have said in previous responses, my experience with statistics is sketchy at best, and the fog of time has clouded any knowledge that might have been gained in the past. Fortunately, I have students in my advanced composition class who have recently taken AP statistics . My inquiries concerning statistical jargon and procedure were met with a chorus of answers, and I think that the students got a kick out of teaching this old dog. I couldn't help but be reminded of the very nature of 21st century skills, and the fact that teachers are not the only experts in the room. I learned from whatever source was available, and my sources, regardless of generational issues, were sympathetic to my plight. The fact that these young minds could take complex ideas and explain them in simplistic terms gives me hope for the future. During the process, I was also introduced to the graphing calculator, and found how technology can make math almost too easy. My students were able to work the problems without the help of the calculator, but I was amazed at how a machine could take a bunch of numbers and yield the answers in seconds that would have taken many minutes by hand. Where were graphing calculators when I was in school? Why did I have to walk up hill both ways to school in the driving snow everyday. :)
Capterra is a really neat resource for business, but also for educators. We often feel the need or are strongly encouraged to solicit feedback in our classrooms. Capterra provides many tools to create quality surveys without spending valuable time researching for possible survey generators. The work has been done for us, and all we need to do is tell the selected tool what to do. Capterra also provides customer service and a guide to help individuals find the right tool for the job. I would think the temptation could be to pick the first tool that comes to mind without really knowing the limits and possible benefits. Capterra provides that information on hundreds of survey tools, which in turn helps the individual find a tool that is specific to his/her needs.
I enjoyed looking at some ACT data this week, and I found that original hypotheses were proven false by the data. I hate when my assumptions are proven false, but the experience is a nice reminder why we should never assume. Now that I know where to find data concerning student achievement at my high school, I think that my department will be able to develop specific plans to improve student results on standardized tests. No one wants to admit teaching to a test, but the data certainly indicates areas of weakness that can be addressed in the individual classrooms. This shared knowledge can help all the teachers focus attention on getting the most out of students, and I hope will be motivation for students to keep achieving at a high level.
Hi Ryan,
ReplyDeleteWhat a neat experience - having your student AP Statistics students be able to reverse roles with you for a little while is a wonderful experience for them as well as for you. I enjoy your posts. Thanks.