Saturday, January 30, 2010

CEdO 550 Post#1

This week we have embarked on a totally new journey, one in which our perspectives have changed. We are now asked to view online learning from the perspective of a student, parent, and educator. I really think this class will be meaningful for me and give me some ideas concerning my future as a teacher. I could see my focus in education changing throughout this course from classroom instruction to online instruction. The possibilities of online learning have gotten me thinking about whether or not I could teach classes online, but it is too early to make that determination.
My school district has rushed into the online learning environment because students were leaving the district to pursue online offerings at other schools. The concern I have involves the speed of the development of online courses at my school. I am of the mindset that we should take the necessary time to make sure we are offering the best possible experience for students seeking online learning. By currently moving at a blistering pace, I wonder if the online program will be available before it is ready, and the initial students will be cheated in the process.
My boys will be attending a small, Lutheran high school, and I like the possibilities of online learning to fill any gaps in their education. With school budgets shrinking, I don't see more class offerings becoming available when my boys enter high school. Being that I have eight years before high school will become a reality in my house, the evolution of online learning will be interesting to follow. Whatever the future brings, I look forward to seeing the increased opportunities for my students and my children.

1 comment:

  1. Very thoughtful Ryan! It is interesting how our own children's futures can impact upon our thinking.

    ReplyDelete