Friday, May 14, 2010

CEdO 565 Post#1

I believe that every educator is a leader, but how one accepts the role of leader varies from person to person. In one sense, I would love to be more of a follower. Not in an apathetic sense, blindly going where others tell me to go, but in a behind the scenes capacity. I would prefer to do the heavy lifting without having people recognize my role. Call it self-deprecating, humble, or just plain silly, but I have never really felt comfortable being considered a leader.
When I was in my 20's, I accepted a position as the assistant general manager of an upscale restaurant. Aside from my sports background, this was a time in my life where I learned the most about what it meant to be a leader. Being responsible for 100 employees was a constant challenge, and I learned a lot about what I could and could not accomplish.
I finally became a teacher when I was 30, and within a year I became the department head at my school. I enjoyed the responsibilities of the position, but didn't enjoy the politics involved. During this time I also coached, and I learned a lot about conflict resolution.
These experiences helped forge my leadership skills. Now I am in my third year of teaching at Bay Port high school, and it is my tenth year as an educator. I think this graduate program has allowed me to be a leader in my department. As we continue to adapt our curriculum, I am asked to lead the way in presenting technology tools that might be viable alternatives to methods that are currently practiced. Although I am far from an expert, I do feel comfortable making recommendations concerning technology in order to improve student learning.
I also lead when it comes to the writing process at my school. I am on a committee that is evaluating current writing practices (or lack thereof) and trying to develop solutions to improve student writing. I feel comfortable sharing information with staff concerning classroom weaknesses in the area of writing, and can deal with the often frigid audience. If I do anything well, it would be my ability to disarm the defensive strikes often volleyed by teachers when they feel threatened by inquiries. I never take sides, and do not form any alliances with groups. Impartiality has helped me reach more staff members, and I think people respect that about me.
My classroom is my favorite area for leading, because it is there that I feel most in my element. My students are often the castoffs from other classes, and many adults have given up on the chances of these students being successful. I feel that I can influence these students to a greater extent than any other groups at the school, for these students need the most direction. The daily interaction with these students has helped me become more organized, compassionate, and determined to be successful. In many cases, I am the only role model that these students have, and I cherish having that opportunity. Although I am not the best person to ask, I do hope that my students consider me to be a good leader.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Ryan, you are quite a leader at your school. I also feel that the classroom is the ultimate place for me to lead with my students. You mentioned that a lot of the students you have are cast offs from other classes. I can't imagine how much they appreciate having such a quality role model and teacher in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to agree with Melissa's final sentiment about you and your students. Most of us (teachers) have no problem leading working with 85% of the students who walk through our doors, but to work with the other 15% you really have to be on your toes and you need to use all the tools at your disposal. Your ability with these students communicates to others that you have the goods. This group of castoffs, gives you legitimacy with the rest of the staff, because you can do something a lot of us can't.

    I feel that every leader has something that those who follow your lead point to as the leaders "it" factor. You have identified one very big "it" factor in your teaching. The ability to work with everyone in an even handed manner. Your coworkers and castoffs appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete